DDES’ Weekly Character Ed Quote and Daily Discussion Point
(The quote and discussion point are read over the announcements each morning. You can always discuss with your daughter or son at home, as well, to reinforce the message!)
Character Trait: Respect
WEEKLY QUOTE: “I’M NOT CONCERNED WITH YOUR LIKING OR DISLIKING ME… ALL I ASK IS THAT YOU RESPECT ME AS A HUMAN BEING.”— Jackie Robinson
• Monday: Jackie Robinson was the first African-American in Major League Baseball (in 1947). As the first African-American in MLB he took a great deal of verbal abuse and threats. Did he care whether people liked or disliked him?
• Tuesday: What does Jackie Robinson mean by asking that you “respect me as a human being?”
• Wednesday: How could people have shown respect for Jackie Robinson? How would you normally treat a famous athlete that you met today?
• Thursday: Is the respect that Jackie Robinson asked for any different than the respect we would want shown for anyone?
• Friday: A last thought for this week – what can we learn about how Jackie Robinson was treated? Less than 70 years ago many people found it hard to believe that an African-American should be allowed to play as a professional athlete. Today, we wouldn’t give it a second thought! How does this apply to our lives today?